Author of the short article:
David Staples – Edmonton Journal
Oct 11, 2020 – – 5 minute read
This in from the Edmonton Oilers, news they have signed Mike Smith: “The Oilers have agreed to terms with goaltender Mike Smith on a 1 year, $2 million agreement.”
And from CapFriendly:
Mike Smith #Oilers
1 year agreement
$ 1,500,000 cap hit
$500,000 Performance Bonus Offers
$50,000 at 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40
$125,000 for 1st RD win 2 video games played
$125,000 for second RD win 2 games played
- I don’t like it. I would have chosen the Oilers bring in a more youthful goalie who has actually played much better the previous 2 seasons, and one who didn’t cost even $2 million per. This is an overpay for the incorrect goalie.
- I don’t absolutely dislike it either. Aside from an absolutely atrocious and two sorrowful playoff durations in 2015, Smith was a pretty good goalie. Smith was likewise a seasoned leader on this group– and every young group needs this sort of assistance. I’m likewise less anxious about the team’s goaltending now than I was heading into the 2019-20 season. Mikko Koskinen proved he can be a good NHL starter in 2015. He enhanced year-to-year. Maybe he can do so again. Even if he can’t, he was solid this past year so if he can keep that the Oilers will be OK. Finally, it might have been even worse here if the Oilers had actually offered a big overpay on term and salary to Jacob Markstrom. This agreement may hurt for a year, but it’s not one that will haunt a franchise for multiple seasons.
- The goalie market was shrinking quickly for Holland, but it’s difficult to imagine he might not have actually done much better.
- Of the 69 NHL goalies who have played at least 40 games in the previous two seasons, Smith ranks simply 59 th for save portion at 0.900 That’s bad. That’s not even near to great. Overall, I believe Holland got this one wrong. Possibly in a greatly reduced NHL season– which I now anticipate– this won’t be such a big deal, with Koskinen playing 2 thirds of the video games, and practically every championship game. And, of course, the Oilers could still make a move here, getting a goalie at the trade due date, for example.
- I’m uncertain where this leaves the Oilers in terms of the expansion draft, as they’ll need to have at least one signed goalie for the 2021-22 season for Seattle to select, and today the only goalie they have in that category is Mikko Koskinen. I expect the group might merely sign Anton Forsberg to another 1 year deal to cover that responsibility.
- Is it possible the Oilers are done with their off-season relocations? Provided the variety of NHL contracts now given out, it essentially looks to be the case. Possibly there will be a trade for a forward, however that’ll be about it. Maybe one or two little finalizings.
The reaction from OIlers fans and bloggers was primarily negative-to-vitriolic, making me think Holland and Smith better have thick skins this year.
Ahmed Mayta @AhmedMayta
Dave Tippett also has way to much love for Mike Smith. Did y’ all forget?
Now Koskinen won’t get the playing time he is worthy of 2 years in a row #LetsGoOilers
Romulus’ Apotheosis @RomulusNotNuma
Here’s the thing about signing Mike Smith.
I don’t like it. Period.
However, if you’re going to do it … do it after you’ve knocked on every door (including trade options), waited out the marketplace right to the bitter end (consisting of waiver options), and do it for league minimum.
Copper and Blue’s Jeff Chapman @NewWaveOil
jesse puljujarvi: 1.175 MM
kyle turris: 1.65 MM
tyler ennis: 1MM
mike smith on day 2: 2MM
precisely who are you bidding versus to revive mike smith
Alan Hull @alanhull
Sincere question … is Anton Forsberg much better than Mike Smith?
He’s probably the best of what’s left, plus growth draft turning up. I can comprehend it rather however I can still see a trade on the horizon. The goalies still readily available through UFA are pretty average
The Athletic’s Jonathan Willis @JonathanWillis
This may be the worst finalizing of free firm.
Leaning on a 38- year-old who has invested the past two seasons hovering around the.900 SV%mark is a bad concept.
Having made that bad choice, what reason could a group possibly have for paying him more than the league minimum?
Short article material continued
Analytics man Michael Parkatti @mparkatti
Mr. Willis is spot on. What possible leverage did Mike Smith have to gather $2M? Throw a random dart at any European league goalie for min wage if this is your plan.
TSN’s Matthew Iwanyk @matthewiwanyk
Break it down by month
Nov–.895(7 video games)
When Smith is on, he plays remarkably well. When Smith is off, its rather bad.
Jeff Chapman @NewWaveOil
here’s how i got em
too expensive? too low? about right?
Bret Litke @BretLitke94
Mikko friend, I’m believing it’s time for you to emerge as a 60 game starter pal.
Ryan Donaldson @Maddawg81
GMs in Edmonton have lacked Imagination for years. I practically want they were a small market group so they really have to think out their choices. Mike Smith choice is confusing. Everybody is stating why? And why $2 mil?
Oilers blogger Alex Thomas @Alex_Thomas14
Mike Smith is not an NHL goaltender. That is an awful decision by Holland and badly dampens the team’s opportunities next season.
Mike Smith’s last 2 seasons of Sv%:
And. He. Keeps. Getting. Signed …
Oilers have actually resigned Mike Smith but, the team IS better than last season. I’m looking forward to watching this group play.
TSN’s Dustin Nielson @nielsonTSN1260
Concern is … are the Oilers a much better group in front of Smith & Koskinen then they were last year due to the fact that they were 2nd in the Div with them in 2015.
How in the world does Mike Smith get over the league minimum?
Holland has the best signing of complimentary company (Barrie) and now one of the worst.
Sean Tierney @ChartingHockey
If you close your eyes and ask yourself where Mike Smith played in 2015, you could fairly respond to with 5 or 6 teams.
Josh Waters @Josh_Waters97
Darnell Nurse and Tyson Barrie in front of Mike Smith sure is going to be a treat to see.
Oilers John ✈ @OilersJohn
I don’t enjoy the Mike Smith finalizing but it is not as bad as some you are making it out to be. #Oilers
Even if you circle back to Mike Smith, seems excessive to give him 2M?
Dimitri Filipovic @DimFilipovic
Basically every goalie was readily available this offseason and Mike Smith was technically among them